After around 3 hours wash your hands and remove the clingfilm from your tattoo. Wash the tattoo with lukewarm water and mild antibacterial soap (a soap or hand wash designed for sensitive skin is ideal) then rinse with cold water.
Dab the tattoo dry with kitchen roll. Do not use a towel as this is more likely to carry bacteria.
Apply a THIN layer of a recommended cream e.g. Hustle Butter, Tattoo Goo, Easy Tattoo or Palmers Cocoa Butter. REPEAT THIS PROCESS AROUND 3 TIMES A DAY UNTIL THE TATTOO IS HEALED. (Healing ususally takes around 2 weeks.)
While your tattoo is healing...
- always wash your hands before touching the tattoo.
- wear loose clothing around the tattooed area.
- keep the tattoo out of direct sunlight.
- cover the tattoo if you are working in a dirty or dusty environment. Clingfilm can be used if changed every 2-3 hours, then following the steps above to wash and cream your tattoo between reapplications. Only do this if necessary.
While your tattoo is healing AVOID...
- picking or scratching the tattoo.
- touching your tattoo unless your hands have just been washed.
- heavy exercise.
- sunbeds, swimming pools and saunas.